Christie’s International Real Estate presents what is new and notable at top mountain resorts with our Affiliates’ insider perspectives. We look at the lifestyle—après ski yurts serving champagne, private chefs, and the highest altitude fine dining on the planet. The slopes—from Hail Mary drops to groomed gliders—are reviewed, as is each property market. Plus, exclusively on Luxury Defined, we have compiled data from top resort locations about ski run difficulty and how many acres of skiable terrain can be found at each luxury ski destination—so you know exactly where you want to ski this, and every, winter season.
We explored enduring classics, including:
• Aspen, Colorado – Beverly Hills in the Mountains and Diamonds Abound, Diamond Ski Runs, That Is
• Park City, Utah – Sip Champagne at a Mongolian Yurt After Carving Up the Largest Resort in the U.S.
We also present mountain resorts off-the-radar…but probably not for long:
• La Clusaz, France – France’s Best-Kept Secret Ski Destination and Did We Mention the Champagne of Cheese?
• Blue Mountain, Ontario, Canada – Who Knew a 720-Vertical Slope Could Be So Heart Pounding
• Charlevoix, Quebec, Canada – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Hosted the G4 Summit Here; Tour the Flavour Trail
Our findings show lack of inventory is fueling strong seller’s markets.
• In Sun Valley saw average sale prices rise 7% with active listings down 4%.
• In Telluride, lack of finished inventory in town sent land sales soaring 70-85% as buyers opted to “build to suit.”
Jackson Hole and the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe continue to attract buyers drawn by the most welcoming of tax laws in the U.S.
Canada, while popular, remains an international value proposition. Blue Mountain posted 43 sales so far in 2018 over C$1,000,000 with only three exceeding C$3,000,0000.
Given the dual trends of remote workplaces and ski resorts morphing into four-season communities, almost all have reported an uptick in full-time residents especially for parents looking to raise their children with an active outdoor lifestyle.
We also asked Affiliates about hot trends.
• In Deer Valley the popularity of new construction is sparking a spate of remodeled homes and teardowns
• On the other hand, in Sun Valley buyers are looking at turnkey luxury with little interest in renovations
• Meanwhile, Northstar in Lake Tahoe takes a steer from airline incentive rewards, offering the Platinum Program with member perks consist of first runs fore the lifts open to the public, express lines once the lifts do open, dedicated lounges (à la airport members-only clubs), exclusive champagne après-ski affairs, and perhaps best of all, valet parking