Looking for affordable, simple upgrades that will add a touch of class to your home? There are tons of projects out there that won’t hurt your wallet, and can be done without the help of a contractor. Check out these five affordable home upgrades and get started on a project that speaks to you and your style.
1. Update Your LightingNew lighting can totally change how a house looks and feels. There are so many ornate and beautiful light fixtures to choose from, not just from bigger stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s, but up-and-coming designers who are placing their modern pieces on websites like Behance. Getting a new fixture isn’t the only way to change up lighting.Try changing the type of light the lamp or fixture gives off. Soft, amber lighting can really set the mood for special occasions, while other rooms can benefit from brighter lights. Because there are so many options available, it’s wise to take a room’s needs, architectural features and dimensions into consideration when deciding what type of lighting to install.
2. Invest in Window Treatments. Windows are often the focal point of a room, so it doesn’t hurt to spend a little time dressing them up. From light and sheer panels to lined drapes, the possibilities are endless when it comes to decorating your windows. You can tinker with color, texture, style and more.
3. Create the Illusion of More SpaceOpen floor plans give the illusion of more space. Unfortunately, knocking down walls is not cheap, and not everyone can afford that expense. There are, however, several budget-friendly ways to create the illusion of an open floor plan. One option is painting three walls of the room a lighter, more neutral color. You can also do things like hang mirrors, choose furniture made of clear materials and raise your curtains to trick the eye into thinking your space is larger than it really is.
4. Update Your Kitchen and Bathroom Cabinetry Hardware. This is an easy upgrade and can really transform your bathroom and kitchen. There are tons of styles to choose from depending on your taste, including the popular choices such as stainless steel, brushed nickel, bronze or aged copper.
5. Don’t Forget the ExteriorLandscaping is a great way to upgrade and improve your home’s appearance. The outside of your home is what other people see first, so it should really be a reflection of your personal style. Full landscaping jobs can be costly, but little things like planting a new shrub or bush, filling in flowerbeds and planting new flowers, or lining gardens with tiles or stones are easy, cost-efficient ways to update your home’s curb appeal.
by Mikkie Mills | November 6, 2015
Author:Marilyn Cortez Phone: 956-587-1633 Dated: November 10th 2015 Views: 312 About Marilyn: Always ahead of the highly competitive RGV real estate market, Marilyn Cortez is a Spanish speaking ...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
Always ahead of the highly competitive RGV real estate market, Marilyn Cortez is a Spanish speaking native of the Rio Grande Valley. Born and raised in Mission, Marilyn is committed to her clients, and is recognized as a Top Agent in the Greater McAllen Real Estate area, and within Keller Williams Realty. Since the start of her Real Estate career in 2007, she has sold over 40 million dollars of real estate. Known by her fellow real estate agents to be hardworking, honest, dedicated and motivated, Marilyn is knowledgeable in all areas of Real Estate and has built her business on results, with more than 70% of her clients being repeat clients.